With events ranging from city gatherings to job fairs, the MacDonald Hughes Community Center is a much frequented hotspot for local activities and community growth.
Streetcar service began in the Druid City in 1883 with the arrival of the first horsecar trolley. Operated by the Tuscaloosa Street Railway, mules and mustangs pulled the streetcars on rails throughout the city. This “contraption” was in use for over a decade before the tracks were taken up by city order in 1896.
The pool and bath house were designed by Don Buel Schuyler, an apprentice to architect Frank Lloyd Wright. They were constructed as a WPA project during the Great Depression.
Built in 1827, it served as a tavern and hotel on the stagecoach route that ran through Tuscaloosa. Many business deals and acquaintances were made in the tavern.
American Christian Academy is a thriving private school, grades pre-k through high school. Through partnerships with the parents, ACA’s main focus is to instill Christian character and academic excellence while developing a spiritual, intellectual, and cultural education for each student.
In 1958, legendary Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant arrived and John “Big Daddy” Bishop opened his first Dreamland Bar-B-Que Cafe.
Tuscaloosa, chosen as the site for a BF Goodrich tire plant in 1945, embraced the plant. It grew to become one of the city’s largest employers. It specialized in Michelin tires, so you might hear some call it the Michelin plant. Both names are right, because BF Goodrich sold its license to Michelin in 1988.
The Houndstooth was recently awarded this title by Travel and Leisure Magazine.
Built in 1907 by the men of the church, the First African Baptist Church stood at the center of important civil rights activities in the 1960s. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 28, 1988, it reflects important lessons and struggles in our shared history.
The Frank M. Moody Music Building is the home of UA’s School of Music and its renowned Holtkamp organ, which stands three stories high and comes with four manuals. Recitals and concerts are scheduled in the 1,000-seat concert hall that was inspired by the home of the famed Vienna Philharmonic.